Snowflake is a reckoned force on the data market, thus became a common path for database migrations. As a result, companies see this trend and strive to fulfill the Snowflake demand. And so did we — now it is available in Database Compare Suite as both the source and target platform.
But database migration can be a complex process, involving terabytes of data. And even when it’s over, you still need to verify the migration result — this is when Database Compare Suite steps up. The program allows for comparing source and target database platforms, as it stands in the name.
Tailor-made for this very purpose, Database Compare Suite thoroughly scans both source and target platforms and unveils their structural differences. The inbound toolkit allows for fixing the discrepancies between platforms to ensure a successful database migration — the ultimate goal.
Ensure the Snowflake migration
To showcase the Database Compare Suite power, we should review a couple of examples. First, let’s imagine you need to migrate from SQL Server to Snowflake. Believe it or not, the workflow nothing special — it was made to keep migrations easy.
- To kick things off, we first connect to the source and target databases. After establishing the connection to both SQL Server and Snowflake, we see them appearing at the right and left corners accordingly.
- Now that all is set and done, we start the comparison process. The most common way is pressing the “Run” button.
- There can be different scenarios — based on actual needs, users can greatly modify the comparison process. For large amounts of data, it is better using the Fast Data option, for smaller data Compare In Details is the choice.
- So, after we choose a proper comparison method and press the run button, we get the result. It will include a general comparison picture as well as details of each tables’ pair. Once we encounter tables that don’t match, there is an option to synchronize them — the Sync button will take care. You may also fix the discrepancy manually using the migration tool you used until that point.
Compare different database environments
Not always do you have to compare different platforms — rather equalize environments: development, staging, or production.
Let’s demonstrate this feature by using Snowflake as the source and target platforms. The connection will look the following way: the source is staging, meanwhile, the target is production.
- After connecting to the database environments, we run the regular Data Compare option. If the staging-to-production move was done properly, the Data Compare result will show 0 errors and the number of successfully matched tables.
- If the comparison result had errors, we can run the Detailed Schema Compare option. It will show the exact tables and rows where the data doesn’t match. What is more, the result tab shows the reasons for comparison errors. It can be different sort order for string data, partially equal rows, etc.
- Now, that we know data differences between, we can either synchronize it using the inbound Sync or Migrate features or save the comparison report to a .CSV file and do it manually. Depending on which database environment is correct, you can synchronize or migrate data to the left (source) or to the right (target) environment.
Become a data professional
Database Compare Suite keeps it simple — several clicks and you know the difference, even if it’s terabytes of data. Now powered by Snowflake support, the program quickly compares data between the old and new versions, allowing to fix it right away.
“Data warehouse-as-a-service” can be easy if you know the right tool. Make your transition to Snowflake quick, secure, and reliable.